Monday, April 02, 2007

#463 - Hot Lettuce

(by Shirley McNevich)

6-10 slices of bacon
3 heaping TBSP flour
3 heaping TBSP white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
3 TBSP cider vinegar
cold water
1 small head of lettuce (OR the same amount of endive OR the same amount of dandelion)

Wash lettuce and break into bite sized pieces in a large bowl. Break raw bacon into bite sized pieces. In a large cast iron skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Use paper towels to wipe bacon grease out of skillet but leave bacon pieces in the skillet. In a 2 qt. bowl add flour, white sugar, salt--stir with a wooden spoon. Add milk and stir. Add eggs and beat with the spoon. Add vinegar and stir. Add enough water to fill the 2 qt. bowl to the top. Add this entire mixture into the skillet that still has the bacon pieces in it. Turn heat on medium and stir constantly until it comes to a boil and thickens. Pour hot dressing over the lettuce--mix well. Serve over mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes.

1 comment:

Donna Oehlke Knorr said...

Shirley,
This is what my mother in law used to make! I am sooooo happy, as I lost the recipe! Thanks to you I can make this again for my husband! On behalf of Betty, RIP and myself and Larry and kids, GREAT BIG THANKYOU!!!! hope you get this...I noticed it was posted quite a while ago!