Friday, July 01, 2016

#3905 - Vanilla Cream Soda

(by Shirley McNevich)

2 cups white sugar
1 cup water
1 TBSP PURE vanilla extract (more if you wish)
seltzer water (chilled)
Half 'n Half (chilled)
ice cubes

In a saucepan over medium heat add the water and white sugar--cook/stir until sugar dissolves, then cook/stir until boiling and the liquid turns clear. Remove from heat--cool the mixture for 5 minutes. Add the pure vanilla extract--stir well. Pour the mixture into a plastic container with a snap-on lid. Put the lid on, then refrigerate until cold. When ready to serve, place 3 TBSP of the chilled vanilla mixture into a 12oz. glass. Add ice cubes, 8oz. of cold seltzer water, and a dash of cold Half 'n Half--stir.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - looks like a nice soda recipe - I will try it :) Anyway, I have another question... My son's birthday is August 1st - I'm going to bake him a cake, although I don't usually bake... I always have good luck with Shirley's recipes though. Does Shirley have a fave cake recipe? Can you please tell me which is Shirley's personal favorite cake and frosting recipe? There are so many, and they all look good, I just want to know which one she is partial too... I may serve the soda on his birthday as well! Also, does Shirley have a favorite brand of coffee?

Anonymous said...

Favorite cake recipe is the very first recipe we ever posted (#1 - Chocolate Cake by Aunt Florence). It has the recipe for the cake AND the chocolate frosting on the same page. No matter how many cakes we've made through the years, we always come back to that one. Make sure to make the cake in an aluminum cake pan, and NOT in a glass baking dish. Favorite brand of coffee is Maxwell House.