Tuesday, July 03, 2007

#570 - Wintergreen Cake (Pink Lozenge Cake)

(by Pat Klase - friend)

1/4lb. wintergreen lozenges (pink wintergreen lozenges candy)
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla

In a bowl, soak the pink lozenges in the milk in the refrigerator overnight. In a mixer beat egg whites until stiff--remove bowl from mixer and set aside. In a separate mixer bowl add white sugar and butter--beat. Add baking powder, salt and vanilla--beat. Remove milk/lozenge mixture from the refrigerator and stir well. Alternate adding some of the milk/lozenge mixture and flour--beat after each. Beat until smooth. Remove bowl from mixer and use a spoon to fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 x 2 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Frost as desired.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the recipe. I made it for my daughter's birthday many, many years ago and lost the recipe. She has mentioned that special cake so many times through the years. I'm going to make one again to surprise her!

Beverly in Georgia said...

I can't believe this is actually posted. My Mother is a Trutt from Sunbury, PA. I was looking thru her old recipes and found this cake. I can remember my grandmother as well as mother making this for me as a child. Now I can now pass it on to my daughter & granddaughter. Thank-you so much

Anonymous said...

This sounds so delish! I love you

cincysteelergal said...

Does anyone know the origin of this cake? My husband's parents are PA natives and this is always made for birthdays.

Anonymous said...

Does anybody have a favorite frosting for this cake?

Anonymous said...

Most people use a simple white frosting, and add a few drops of red food coloring to the frosting to make it pink in color. You don't want a strong flavor frosting (such as cream cheese frosting) because the cake itself has so much flavor.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Williamsport, PA, many years ago. My Grandmother and then my mother always baked this cake for Birthdays and Family Reunions. It was always baked in layer form and was frosted with "Seven minute frosting" which was light and heavenly. I haven't had the cake in years but always remember it. Everyone loved this cake. I'm 77 years old.